A stretch wrapper is a machine that applies a consistent wrap of film around a palletized load.
Benefits of a stretch wrapping system includes:
- Improved stability of products or packages on a pallet to form a unit load
- More efficient handling of the unit load after it is wrapped to include labeling, conveying, using Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGVs) or even Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (AS/RS)
- Dust and moisture protection of the products
- Tamper or pilfer resistance
- More efficient and cost effective compared to manually wrapping. Saving time to wrap as well as amount of wrapping material
There are two main categories of stretchwrappers, depending on the application and conditions in which the machine is to be used; automatic and semi-automatic. As the name implies, an automatic palletizer senses the presence of the unit load to wrap and completes the operation without manual interface. The semi-automatic requires an operator to initiate the wrap cycle with some type of interface, typically a push button or human machine interface (HMI). Each one of these main categories also have two subcategories: turntable or rotary arm. A turntable rotates the unit load relative to the film roll whereas a rotary arm maintains the load at a consistent position while an arm with the film roll mounted rotates around the unit load.
Pallets can present themselves to the stretch wrapping system either manually or through conveyors. This is why many manufactures offer a conveyorized or non-conveyorized option for their stretchwrapping systems. The conveyorized stretch wrappers use pallet conveyor to present the unit to wrapper and take it away whereas the non-conveyorized requires an operator to present the unit load to the wrapper, typically done with either a forklift truck or a pallet jack.
TriFactor is sought out by companies nationwide to provide material handling solutions that reduce inventory and delivery time, lower costs of manufacturing, distribution and transportation, and improve customer service. If you are looking for an Edge on your competition, discover how TriFactor can make a difference, call today at 1-800-507-4209.
For additional information on material handling system related topics, please visit the TriFactor Learning Center.