Radio Frequency (RF) picking is an extremely popular, widely used technology in distribution centers and warehouses that has outgrown the paper-based picking process.
As the name implies, RF picking requires the establishment of a radio frequency wireless network, specifically 802.11b/g within the facility. The RF system has a host server that communicates directly with the higher level Warehouse Management System (WMS) in order to send and receive order information. The information is relayed to the RF terminals that warehouse operators and order pickers wear, typically on their wrists. These terminals direct the order picker to the proper pick location and provide item description and quantity to pick. Once complete, the order picker sends a confirmation signal to the host signal either by scanning the item with the terminal or manually pressing product identification buttons on the terminal. Once all lines in an order are complete, the order status in the WMS is updated by way of the host system and the next order in the queue is sent through the host to the terminal on the order picker.
Some of the benefits of RF picking systems compared to paper-based picking include:
- Faster order fulfillment since order pickers do not have to handle a paper pick ticket while picking items.
- More accurate order fulfillment since the RF terminal requires a pick confirmation to be sent back to the host server.
- Supports multiple order picking methodologies such as discrete order picking, zone, batch or wave picking.
- Pick information is real time, allowing for more accurate inventory control and customer order status.
- Allows for workforce productivity reporting and benchmarking.
TriFactor is sought out by companies nationwide to provide material handling solutions that reduce inventory and delivery time, lower costs of manufacturing, distribution and transportation, and improve customer service. If you are looking for an Edge on your competition, discover how TriFactor can make a difference with your radio frequency picking systems, call today at 1-800-507-4209.
For additional information on material handling system related topics, please visit the TriFactor Learning Center.